The Church of the Saint Jacob in Piotrkow Trybunalski is one of the most important sacred building in Poland. It was built before 14th century. From 15th to 17th century in that church Polish politicians and clergy was praying together and they discussed the future of Poland. In 1435 Polish bishops gathered in the church of Saint Jacob and they accepted the king – Wladyslaw Jagiello. Thereafter Piotrkow’s church was the place where synods of Polish bishops took place. However, it was announced in 1551 and eventually adopted the “Confessio Catholicae fide Christiana”, written by Stanislaus Hosius, the bishop of Warmia.
Since the summoning of the parliament to Piotrkow by Władysław III, king of Poland (at December 16th, 1438), to the church began arriving highest dignitaries of the First Republic of Poland. The city was the site of numerous General Assemblies and Sejms General, which took place in the years 1354-1567. In Piotrkow church of St. Jacob for over 200 years was the place of prayers and thanksgivings for the parliaments and the king’s elections.
In connection to the establishment of the highest court in Poland in 1578 the Court of the Crown, Piotrkow as an important administrative centre has not lost much in importance after the parliaments moved to Warsaw. The church became a place of morning celebrating masses on which they had to appear before each meeting of deputies for the court. In 1621 there was another synod in Piotrkow which adopted the important issues for the Church and the State.